Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for deaf people

PIP replaces Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults and young people aged 16 and over who have difficulties with daily living or with getting around.

 Girl talking to parents 16+

When will PIP affect my child?

PIP has been gradually replacing DLA in stages since April 2013. If your child is currently claiming DLA they can't claim PIP until the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) asks them to.

Your child may be able to get PIP if they have a disability and have difficulties with daily living or with getting around. PIP is not affected by any other money your child may have and  can be claimed whether or not they are working or studying.

To find out what's happening where you live, visit


Who can claim PIP?

To claim PIP your child must:

  • be at least 16 years old
  • be in Great Britiain (your child can continue to get PIP if they are abroad for a short period temporarily)
  • have been in Great Britain for at least 104 weeks out of the last 156 weeks
  • satisfy the habitual residence test
  • have satisfied the daily living and/or mobility activities tests for three months before their claim and be likely to continue to satisfy the test for at least nine months after they claim.


What are the Daily Living and Mobility Components?

The Daily Living Component

This looks at the difficulties your child might have in their day-to-day life.

For the Daily Living Component there are various activities which are considered. For each activity, there are several 'descriptors'. Descriptors are tasks that your child might have difficulty with. If your child cannot perform a descriptor safely, reliably and repeatedly, and in a reasonable time they will score a number of points. The points for the highest scoring descriptor which applies to your child for each activity are added togethe. If their total score is high enough they will qualify for PIP.

The areas of activity are:

1. Preparing food

2. Taking nutrition

3. Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition

4. Washing and bathing

5. Managing toilet needs or incontinence

6. Dressing and undressing

7. Communicating verbally

8. Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words

9. Engaging with other people face-to-face

10. Making budgeting decisions

The Mobility Component

This looks at problems your child might have with getting around. The score for the Mobility Component is worked out in the same way as for the Daily Living Component (see above).

 The Mobility Component looks at:

1. Planning and following journeys

2. Moving around

For more detailed information about the descriptors, download Supporting your child with filling in the 'How your disability affects you' questionnaire (PIP2).


How much can my child claim?

The weekly rates of PIP are:

Daily Living Component

£55.10 (standard rate)

£82.30 (enhanced rate)

Mobility Component

£21.80 (standard rate)

£57.45 (enhanced rate)

 If your child scores 8 points for a component they will get the standard rate. If they score 12 points, they will get the enhanced rate.


Can I receive PIP payments on my child’s behalf?

Yes, you can be their ‘appointee’. However, most deaf young people are able to receive the payments themselves. It’s an opportunity for them to learn how to manage money, and you can still support them with their claim without being an appointee. Also, a 16-year-old has the right to decide whether to manage their PIP claim unless it can be proven that they don’t have the mental capacity to make the decision.

If you do apply to be an appointee, a representative from the DWP will visit and talk to you and your child. The purpose of the visit is to assess the capabilities of your child and decide whether you are a suitable appointee. They would interview you both and help you fill out the appointee application form. They will start out with the assumption that your child is capable unless they demonstrate otherwise.

If DWP agrees with the application you’ll be sent Form BF57 which confirms you’ve been formally appointed, but it’s important to remember your child can challenge this decision. DWP will monitor the situation to make sure it’s still suitable. 


Can my child claim at residential college?

Yes. When your child goes into a residential college they can keep the PIP care component for the first 28 days they are there. They will then lose the care component for any complete days spent in a residential college after the first 28 days. Two or more periods in a residential college will be added together towards the 28 days if 28 days or less separates them.

The mobility component continues to be paid.

For example: Young person starts college in September, comes home every Friday night and goes back to college on Sunday morning. Check the table to see how this would affect your child's entitlement to the care component.

Week 1 4 days college - 3 days home
Full care component
 Week 2
 4 days college - 3 days home
 Full care component
 Week 3
 4 days college - 3 days home
 Full care component
 Week 4
 4 days college - 3 days home
 Full care component
 Week 5
 4 days college - 3 days home
 Full care component
 Week 6
 Half term - 7 days home
 Full care component
 Week 7
 4 days college - 3 days home
 Full care component
 Week 8  4 days college - 3 days home
 Full care component
 Week 9
 4 days college - 3 days home
 Three sevenths of care component paid
 Week 10
 4 days college - 3 days home
 Three sevenths of care component paid

 An uninterrupted period of 28 days at home will start this process again.


More information

Download our factsheet Supporting your child with filling in the 'How your disability affects you' questionnaire (PIP2).

For information on PIP for deaf young people, download our factsheet.

Visit our webpage on Making a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim for more information on the claim process and how to complain about delays or poor decisions.