Deaf Children in Foster Care – Support from the start
Free guide to download
This practical guide gives foster carers the key information they need to know when they start caring for a deaf child or young person.
The guide gives tips about:
- Communication – do’s and don’ts, fingerspelling and BSL
- Hearing aid technology – common devices explained and hearing aid FAQs
- Sounds and how we hear them – to help you understand your child’s hearing levels
- Useful equipment – technology that can help at home and school
- Myth busters – six things you didn’t know about deaf children
- Further information – how NDCS can help
Are you a member of NDCS? Sign up for free access to our entire range of information resources, support services, and events.
Do you work with Looked After children? You will also find the information in the Foster Care section relevant, and NDCS has produced a resource especially for care workers who look after deaf children.