People you may meeet: Social services

Social services are part of your local authority. As a parent of a deaf child, you can ask for an assessment of the needs of both you and your child. It's important to remember that not all social services departments give the same level of service, but in your area, social services may provide:

  • equipment for your child
  • sign language classes (sometimes called language aid schemes)
  • local organisations
  • play schemes
  • parents’ groups.

How social workers can help your child

Social workers are professionals who are normally employed by local authorities. They provide practical help and advice about counselling, transport, home help, and other services.

Social workers may also be able to help you claim welfare or get equipment you need at home. They can put families in touch with other services, such as sign language classes, parents’ groups or play schemes.

In some areas, social service departments have specialist social workers who work with deaf children. In other areas, social workers work within teams supporting a range of disabled children. 

Watch social worker Jo, in the video above, explain how she works with parents and other professionals to help encourage personal growth in children and make sure their needs are being met.

Need to know more about deaf children and social care?

Our factsheet Deaf children and social care explains the forms of support and services that deaf children and their families are entitled to expect from local authorities, lists key social care laws and the steps you can take to make ensure your child gets the help they need.

More people you may meet


Glossary Terms