NDCS: The National Deaf Children's Society

Free equipment and products for deaf children

In this section

There are three main types of organisation that provide equipment for deaf children – social services, education services and local health services.

In this section you can find out about the equipment and products your child is entitled to and who to contact to get it. 

Jessica Hardy

Social services

You can contact your local social services department to request equipment that can help your child at home. There is a wide variety of equipment available for children with different levels of deafness.

radio aid boy2

Education services

Equipment to help your child at school will usually be provided by your local authority in England and Wales, the local education and library board (ELB) in Northern Ireland, or the education department in your local authority in Scotland.

Adil hearing aids

Health services

Hearing aids and cochlear implants are provided by the National Health Service (NHS). The NHS might also provide any other hearing equipment your child may need, such as vibrotactile aids, or equipment to help you check and look after your child's hearing aids.