Technology Test Drive - our FREE product loan service
The NDCS Technology Test Drive service offers deaf children, their families and the professionals working with them the opportunity to borrow a wide range of products and try them out in their own home or at school.
The service is provided to NDCS members free of charge.
The Technology Test Drive can help you decide which products can help your child. After the loan you may decide to purchase the product or you may be able to obtain it from your local education authority or social services on a long-term basis.
Equipment available to borrow
Please note: as a charity our stock of equipment is limited which may mean that it is not always available to borrow when ordered; in these circumstances we will contact you to explore either the loan of alternative equipment with similar functions, or to discuss an alternative source for the originally requested equipment.
Products for school and hearing speech
Phones and phone accessories
Products for entertainment
How to borrow equipment
There is a separate form for borrowing a radio aid which needs to be downloaded and completed by both a parent and a professional working with your child, for example their Teacher of the Deaf.
If you have any questions about the equipment or forms, please contact our Helpline team.
The typical prices are shown with each product; please note that they exclude VAT. Some of the products are VAT exempt if they are purchased for use by a deaf child or young person. More information is available from the retailers listed with each product.
Your views and comments
We are always pleased to receive your comments about Technology Test Drive – how useful you have found it and how you feel it could be improved.
It is also helpful to hear your opinion about the products you have tried. We always share your feedback with the manufacturers of the equipment.
You can email us at email@example.com if you have information or views to share with us.
"He was not able to hear the TV before using the loop. Now he is able to join in with the family more and was very excited to hear the words to films he had watched many times before and be able to understand them."
"It gave us the opportunity to see the product 'in the flesh' and use the functionalities in a different number of scenarios. We could also determine from the trial whether it was beneficial for both children and if it was user friendly."
Also in this Section
- NDCS Technology Test Drive
- Vibrating alarm clocks to help deaf children wake up
- Watches with vibrating alerts
- Door chimes that alert deaf children to someone at the door
- Personal paging systems for alerting deaf children to sounds around the home
- Radio aids
- Soundfield systems for classrooms
- Personal listeners for communication
- Landline phones for deaf children
- Textphones for text conversations
- Accessories to make landline telephones easier to use.
- Mobile phone accessories for clearer conversations
- Products for listening to music
- Streamers for helping deaf children access entertainment devices
- Headphones for deaf children
- TV listeners to help you hear the TV better
- Loop systems for clearer sound
- Bone-anchored hearing aid accessories
- Technology that could help deaf children with additional complex needs
- Mobile phones