Gift Aid

You might think that ticking the Gift Aid box doesn't really make that much of difference. Last year, however, we were able to claim back an extra £2.6 million from the government through Gift Aid, enabling us to reach out to many more deaf children all over the UK.

Why should I use Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is one of the easiest ways to make your donation tax effective.

Here's an example of how your donation is affected by Gift Aid:
As  basic rate tax in the UK is currently 20%, a donation of £10 is treated as the amount after tax is deducted from £12.50 (£12.50 minus 20% is £10). With your permission, through the Gift Aid scheme, NDCS can get the £2.50 back from HM Revenue & Customs, thus giving an additional 25% to NDCS on top of the original donation for basic rate taxpayers at no extra charge to the donor.

Use the Gift Aid calculator (right) to find out how much extra money your donation will be worth if you sign up for Gift Aid.

How do I sign up for Gift Aid?

To do this, download and complete our Gift Aid Declaration1.pdf (118 kb) [pdf] and return it to us by post or fax. Alternatively, you can call our Supporter Care team on 0800 138 6585 and we can set up Gift Aid on your donations quickly and simply.


Supporter Care team
The National Deaf Children's Society
Ground Floor South
Castle House
37 - 45 Paul Street
London. EC2A 4LS

Fax:  020 7251 5020

Do I qualify?

To qualify for Gift Aid you must pay Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax in the UK. Each year that you ask us to claim Gift Aid, you must pay at least as much tax as the amount of Gift Aid we claim. For instance, if you wish to Gift Aid donations that total £100 in a financial year, you need to have paid at least £25 in tax that year. If your circumstances change, please let us know.  If you pay less in tax than we have claimed in Gift Aid on your behalf then you are responsible for paying the difference.

If you pay Income Tax at the higher or additional rate and want to receive the additional tax relief due to you, you must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self-Assessment tax return or ask HM Revenue and Customs to adjust your tax code.

For further information, please read our facts about Gift Aid.

Smiling girl

Giftaid Calculator