Raising the Bar - celebrating the success of deaf young performers
We are looking for deaf young people who are the performing stars of today, to Raise the Bar and show the world how good they are!
Applications for Raising the Bar 2018 are now open!
Download this documentApplicant terms and conditions - Raising the Bar 2018 88kb
Applicant terms and conditions
- Enter Raising the Bar 2018
- New for 2017 - a Signed Song Music video!
- Raising the Bar 2018 workshop leaders
- Music and Performing Arts resources
The ‘Raising the Bar’ project was developed by the National Deaf Children’s Society in 2015 to drive expectations of what deaf children and young people in the UK can achieve in performing arts. Now in our third year, Raising the Bar gives young stars from all over the UK the opportunity to meet leading deaf professionals in the arts industry and to perform on stage together.
See below for an amazing short film where our 12 stars from the very first Raising the Bar tell you about their experience at the fantastic REP Theatre in central Birmingham!
Raising the Bar 2015 Film
Enter Raising the Bar 2018
Applications are now being accepted for Raising the Bar 2018! Applications are welcomed from now until 25 February 2018.
Applicants will need to be:
- Age 8-18 years old
- Deaf (mild, moderate, severe or profound)
- Living in the UK
- Available to travel and stay in Birmingham on 12-13 May 2018
Watch our BSL video here
To apply for a place, it is a two step process:
1. Film themselves performing drama, dance or music for 1-2 minutes
2. Complete this online form and send the film: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/raisingthebar2018 (you may need to copy/paste the link into your address bar)
Any questions, please contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please direct young people to www.buzz.org.uk/raisingthebarPlease read our terms and conditions below
New for 2017 - a Signed Song Music video!
In partnership with Deaffest, we are delighted to share a new and very exciting signed song music video!
This video was performed and filmed during the fourth workshop at Raising the Bar 2017. Led by world famous Rosa Lee Timm who starred in the viral video of Pharrell Williams 'Happy' at Deaf Camp in America, 6 young deaf people had the opportunity to be involved and it was incredibe. See below to view, 'I believe' by Yolanda Adams:Watch the Deaffest video
Raising the Bar 2018 workshop leaders
We are pleased to be working with the following organisations on Raising the Bar 2018:
Music and the Deaf - www.matd.org.uk
Deaf Men Dancing -www.marksmithproduction.com/deafmendancing
Deafinitely Theatre - www.deafinitelytheatre.co.uk
Ruddock Performing Arts Centre - http://ruddockpac.co.uk/
Music and Performing Arts resources
We have a number of resources that are available to support professionals working with deaf children and young people.
- How to make music activities accessible for deaf children and young people
- Music exams - Information on the adaptations available for deaf young candidates
- Making arts activities deaf friendly
- Making arts venues deaf friendly
If you would like more information or some extra support, please contact the Inclusive Activities team at email@example.com.