Raising the Bar - celebrating the success of deaf young performers
We are looking for deaf young people who are the performing stars of today, to Raise the Bar and show the world how good they are!
Please keep your eyes open for details about Raising the Bar 2019!
- Apply for Raising the Bar 2019
- New for 2017 - a Signed Song Music video!
- Raising the Bar 2018 workshop leaders
- Music and Performing Arts resources
The ‘Raising the Bar’ project was developed by the National Deaf Children’s Society in 2015 to drive expectations of what deaf children and young people in the UK can achieve in performing arts. Now in our third year, Raising the Bar gives young stars from all over the UK the opportunity to meet leading deaf professionals in the arts industry and to perform on stage together.
See below for an amazing short film where our 12 stars from the very first Raising the Bar tell you about their experience at the fantastic REP Theatre in central Birmingham!
Raising the Bar 2015 Film
Apply for Raising the Bar 2019
We will let you know when we will be accepting applications for Raising the Bar 2019.
Applicants for Raising the Bar will need to be:
- Age 8-18 years old
- Deaf (mild, moderate, severe or profound)
- Living in the UK
- Available to travel and stay in Birmingham on the date given (yet to be released)
To apply for a place, it is a two step process:
1. Film themselves performing drama, dance or music for 1-2 minutes
2. Complete our online application form (yet to be released) and send the film to us.
Any questions, please contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note we are not open for applications for Raising the Bar 2019 yet!Please read our terms and conditions below
New for 2017 - a Signed Song Music video!
In partnership with Deaffest, we are delighted to share a new and very exciting signed song music video!
This video was performed and filmed during the fourth workshop at Raising the Bar 2017. Led by world famous Rosa Lee Timm who starred in the viral video of Pharrell Williams 'Happy' at Deaf Camp in America, 6 young deaf people had the opportunity to be involved and it was incredibe. See below to view, 'I believe' by Yolanda Adams:Watch the Deaffest video
Raising the Bar 2018 workshop leaders
We were very pleased to be working with the following organisations on Raising the Bar 2018. A huge well done to everybody who took part!
Music and the Deaf - www.matd.org.uk
Deaf Men Dancing -www.marksmithproduction.com/deafmendancing
Deafinitely Theatre - www.deafinitelytheatre.co.uk
Ruddock Performing Arts Centre - http://ruddockpac.co.uk/
We are delighted to be supported this year also by:
D'Oyly Carte Chartitable Trust
The Boshier-Hinton Foundation
Music and Performing Arts resources
We have a number of resources that are available to support professionals working with deaf children and young people.
- How to make music activities accessible for deaf children and young people
- Music exams - Information on the adaptations available for deaf young candidates
- Making arts activities deaf friendly
- Making arts venues deaf friendly
If you would like more information or some extra support, please contact the Inclusive Activities team at email@example.com.