Courses and events for professionals working with deaf children
This page lists events and courses organised by NDCS as well as those run by
- NDCS education workshops
- e-Learning opportunities
- Post-graduate study
- Short courses and conferences during 2014
- Short courses and conferences during 2015
- Short courses and conferences during 2016
- Short courses and conferences during 2017
- Other courses
NDCS education workshops
Special educational needs reform
London, 4 November 2014
We're piloting a new workshop in November to help professionals understand the implications of SEN reform for the deaf children you work with. For more information, download our flyer and booking form. This workshop is now full, with a waiting list in operation.
Bespoke workshops to meet your service’s specific needs are also available including on, for example, SEN reform, morphology, working memory and assessments. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Various eLearning courses, now with BAA CPD points, visit AudiologyOnline.
- American Academy of Audiology eAudiology offers online live and on-demand seminars, many free of charge.
- British Society of Audiology 'Lunch and Learn' lectures - recorded lectures in association with Phonak, with the opportunity to email speakers during a limited period of time following talk.
- Cochlear Academy offer a series of online presentations that have BAA CPD points about their cochlear implants, bone anchored hearing aids and accessories.
- Department of Health in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies, visit E-Learning for Healthcare.
- The Ida Institute offer modules through their e-Learning Lab which have BAA CPD points.
- Live International Otolaryngology Network (LION) A Worldwide video conferencing network dedicated to Otolaryngology.
- Recorded lectures given by international speakers are available to watch on Phonak eLearning site.
- To download presentations and view webcasts from previous Phonak conferences.
- Effective amplification for infants and children, CPD or MSc level module, University of Manchester, School of Psychological Sciences.
- Aston University offers a Certificate In Audiology (Return to Work Programme), modules in diagnosis and management of ear disease, counselling skills, teaching relaxation to audiology patients, managing your tinnitus patient, basic ear care (wax removal), and an MSc in Clinical Health Management.
- The Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre (DCAL) offers a Masters in Language Sciences (with specialisation in Sign Language Studies)
- Mary Hare Postgraduate Education, offers Postgraduate Diplomas in Educational Studies (Hearing Impairment, Educational Audiology, and Early Years and Deafness), and other postgraduate courses.
- Queen Margaret University, Edingburgh offers CPD courses in audiology.
- UCL Ear Institute offers advanced audiology masterclasses.
- University of Birmingham offers MEd/BPhil/Postgraduate Diploma/ Postgraduate Certificate/Advanced Certificate in Multisensory Impairment (Deafblindness), MEd/BPhil/Postgraduate Diploma for Teachers of Children with Hearing Impairment and Certificate/Advanced Certificate in Mental Health and Deafness.
- University of Manchester offers part-time CPD or masters level modules in audiology
Short courses and conferences during 2014
- CMV Cytomegalovirus, 3 November, London
- Paediatric Assessment: A Refresher Course, 4 - 6 November, Middlesborough Paediatric Assessment Course Nov 14 (241 kb)
- Validating Hearing Aids for Infants: Dilemmas and Possibilities, 6 November, Nottingham
- Academy of Doctors of Audiology 2014 Convention, 6 - 8 November, Las Vegas
- BSA Balance Interest Group Conference, 7 November, London
- Implantable Devices 2014: The State of the Art, 7 November, Nottingham
- Complex Children with Cochlear Implants for Teaching Assistants, 11 November, Nottingham
- Teaching Writing to Deaf Learners: Approaches, Strategies and Resource, 12 November, Nottingham
- Communication Support Workers: Supporting Cochlear Implant Users, 14 November, Nottingham
- BAA 11th Annual Conference, Today's Vision: Tomorrow's Reality, 20 - 21 November, Bournemouth
- Professionals learning to listen - Counselling, coaching and collaborating: Non-Professional Counselling Skills, 25 November, London
- Words are not enough: the development of pragmatic communication skills and theory of mind, 25 November, Nottingham
- Sheffield Calibration course for Audiologists, 26 - 28 November, Sheffield
- VIRTUAL CONFERENCE: Deafness & Complex Issues, 2 December
- Expectations & Challenges: supporting children who were born very premature, 3 December, Nottingham
- Why so Wobbly? Balance and what you can do about it for children, 5 December, London
- Building vocabulary in the primary years: When? Why? How?, 8 December, Nottingham
- Radio Aids and wireless technology workshop: understanding the potential and building confidence, 9 December, Nottingham
- ACE: Assessment of Comprehension & Expression, 10 December, Nottingham
Short courses and conferences during 2015
- Paediatric assessment (12 week part-time course), 16 January, London
- Tinnitus and Hyperacusis in Adults and Children Masterclass, 20 -22 January, London
- 11th Annual National ENT Masterclass, 23 - 25 January, London
- Steering a True Course: Leadership and Service Development in the Changing World of Audiology, 3 - 5 February, Durham
- Paediatric habilitation (Advanced Audiology Masterclass) (5 week part-time course), 27 February, London
- Newborn ABR Refresher Day, 3 March, Manchester
- 14th Annual Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Meeting, 8 - 10 March, Louiseville, USA
- Assessment and management of tinnitus in children, 13 - 14 March, Sheffield
- Tinnitus & Hyperacusis Therapy Masterclass, 16 - 20 March, London
- Audiology & Balance ENT Masterclass, 20 - 21 March, Doncaster
- American Academy of Audiology Annual Meeting & Audiology Now! Exhibition 2015, 25 - 28 March, San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- ERA Course, 27 April - 1 May, Harrogate
- 12th Congress of the European Federation of Audiology Societies, 27 - 30 May, Turkey
- 12th European Symposium Pediatric Cochlear Implant, 18 - 21 June, France
- Educational Audiology Association Summer Conference 2015, 24 - 26 June, Florida, USA
- 15th British Academic Conference in Otolaryngology (BACO), 8 - 10 July, Liverpool
- 2nd International Conference on Hyperacusis, 9 - 10 July, London
- Advances in auditory implants, 3 November, London
Short courses and conferences during 2016
- American Academy of Audiology Annual Meeting & Audiology Now! Exhibition 2016, 13 - 16 April, Phoenix, Arizona
Short courses and conferences during 2017
- American Academy of Audiology Annual Meeting & Audiology Now! Exhibition 2017, 5 - 8 April, Indianapolis, Indiana
If you run courses and events for professionals who work with deaf children and their families, and would like to tell NDCS members about them, please email email@example.com.
You may also be interested in training and events run by the National Children’s Bureau (NCB). Previous and current courses include successful commissioning, involving disabled children in choices and decisions, demystifying research evidence, involving disabled children in planning and reviews, supporting children, parents and families, and building a culture of participation. Further information here.