Courses and events for professionals working with deaf children
This page lists events and courses organised by NDCS as well as those run by
- NDCS education workshops
- e-Learning opportunities
- Post-graduate study
- Short courses and conferences during 2015
- Short courses and conferences during 2016
- Short courses and conferences during 2017
- Other courses
NDCS education workshops
Special educational needs reform
We may be able to deliver bespoke workshops in your area or for your service on SEN reform and the implications for deaf children. These workshops look at how to identify good outcomes for deaf children as well as the features of an effective Education, Health and Care plan.
For more information, download our flyer:
Bespoke workshops to meet your service’s specific needs are also available including on, for example, morphology, working memory and assessments. Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Various eLearning courses, now with BAA CPD points, visit AudiologyOnline.
- American Academy of Audiology eAudiology offers online live and on-demand seminars, many free of charge.
- British Society of Audiology 'Lunch and Learn' lectures - recorded lectures in association with Phonak, with the opportunity to email speakers during a limited period of time following talk.
- Cochlear Academy offer a series of online presentations that have BAA CPD points about their cochlear implants, bone anchored hearing aids and accessories.
- Department of Health in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies, visit E-Learning for Healthcare.
- The Ear Foundation E-Learning modules and recorded presentations.
- The Ida Institute offer modules through their e-Learning Lab which have BAA CPD points.
- Live International Otolaryngology Network (LION) A Worldwide video conferencing network dedicated to Otolaryngology.
- Recorded lectures given by international speakers are available to watch on Phonak eLearning site.
- To download presentations and view webcasts from previous Phonak conferences.
- Effective amplification for infants and children, CPD or MSc level module, University of Manchester, School of Psychological Sciences.
- Aston University offers a Certificate In Audiology (Return to Work Programme), modules in diagnosis and management of ear disease, counselling skills, teaching relaxation to audiology patients, managing your tinnitus patient, basic ear care (wax removal), and an MSc in Clinical Health Management.
- The Deafness Cognition and Language Research Centre (DCAL) offers a Masters in Language Sciences (with specialisation in Sign Language Studies)
- Mary Hare Postgraduate Education, offers Postgraduate Diplomas in Educational Studies (Hearing Impairment, Educational Audiology, and Early Years and Deafness), and other postgraduate courses.
- Queen Margaret University, Edingburgh offers CPD courses in audiology.
- UCL Ear Institute offers advanced audiology masterclasses.
- University of Birmingham offers MEd/BPhil/Postgraduate Diploma/ Postgraduate Certificate/Advanced Certificate in Multisensory Impairment (Deafblindness), MEd/BPhil/Postgraduate Diploma for Teachers of Children with Hearing Impairment and Certificate/Advanced Certificate in Mental Health and Deafness.
- University of Manchester offers part-time CPD or masters level modules in audiology
Short courses and conferences during 2015
- Paediatric ENT Skills Course for Consultants, 23 January, Leicester
- 11th Annual National ENT Masterclass, 23 - 25 January, London
- Paediatric ENT Skills Course for Consultants, 30 January, Bangor
- Radio Aids and wireless technology workshop: understanding the potential and building confidence,
3 February, Nottingham
- Steering a True Course: Leadership and Service Development in the Changing World of Audiology, 3 - 5 February, Durham
- Sound to Words: following babies with implants in the first year, 6 February, Leeds
- Home Supporting – leave the bag of toys in the car!
10 February, Kilmarnock
- Building vocabulary in the primary years: When? Why? How? 24 February, London
- Paediatric habilitation (Advanced Audiology Masterclass) (5 week part-time course), 27 February, London
- Language development and goal setting the SMART way, 27 February, Nottingham
- Newborn ABR Refresher Day, 3 March, Manchester
- Advanced Amplification and Aural Rehabilitation 3 - 6 March, London
- 14th Annual Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Meeting, 8 - 10 March, Louiseville, USA
- Sign to Speech: meeting the listening and language potential of deaf children who sign, 10 March, Nottingham
- NHSP Screening Event, 12 March, London.
- British Paediatric Otolaryngology Course, 12 - 13 March, Glasgow. Email bpocglasgow @ hotmail . co . uk
- Assessment and management of tinnitus in children, 13 - 14 March, Sheffield
- BSA Auditory Processing Disorder SIG – Family & Professionals APD Info day, 14 March, London
- Tinnitus & Hyperacusis Therapy Masterclass, 16 - 20 March, London
- Speech Acoustics: Plain English, 18 March, venue tbc
- British Association of Audiovestibular Physicians (BAAP) Conference, 19 - 20 March, Chesham
- Audiology & Balance ENT Masterclass, 20 - 21 March, Doncaster
- Deaf Children with Additional Complex Needs, 25 March, Nottingham
- American Academy of Audiology Annual Meeting & Audiology Now! Exhibition 2015, 25 - 28 March, San Antonio, Texas, USA.
- Paediatric Hearing Aid Audiology Masterclass, 13 - 15 April, London Programme and Booking Form
- Professionals learning to listen: Counselling, coaching and collaborating, 21 April, Nottingham
- Counselling for Hearing Healthcare Professionals, 22 - 24 April, London
- ERA Course, 27 April - 1 May, Harrogate
- Deafness in children and young people - addressing social and emotional issues, 8 May, London
- Complex language development for children with hearing loss, 13 May, Nottingham
- Listening with the Third Ear - Counselling Skills for Audiologists, 18 May, Nottingham
- Children with Cochlear Implants at Secondary School, 19 May, Nottingham
- Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder, 20 May, Nottingham
- 12th Congress of the European Federation of Audiology Societies, 27 - 30 May, Turkey
- Deaf Children at Primary School for Teaching Assistants, 9 June, Nottingham
- Developing listening and spoken language - a reflective practice workshop, 10 June, Nottingham
- Deaf Education 2015: Theory of mind and pragmatic language skills, 12 June, Nottingham
- Children with Cochlear Implants in the Early Years, 16 June, Nottingham
- 12th European Symposium Pediatric Cochlear Implant, 18 - 21 June, France
- Deaf Children at Secondary School for Teaching Assistants, 23 June, Nottingham
- Educational Audiology Association Summer Conference 2015, 24 - 26 June, Florida, USA
- Professionals learning to listen: Sharpening your counselling skills, 25 June, Nottingham
- It's Child's Play, 30 June, Nottingham
- Let me tell you! Story and narrative development for pre-school children, 2 July, Nottingham
- Working with families of young children: Coach & collaborate, 7 July, Nottingham
- 15th British Academic Conference in Otolaryngology (BACO), 8 - 10 July, Liverpool
- 2nd International Conference on Hyperacusis, 9 - 10 July, London
- Advances in auditory implants, 3 November, London
Short courses and conferences during 2016
- American Academy of Audiology Annual Meeting & Audiology Now! Exhibition 2016, 13 - 16 April, Phoenix, Arizona
Short courses and conferences during 2017
- American Academy of Audiology Annual Meeting & Audiology Now! Exhibition 2017, 5 - 8 April, Indianapolis, Indiana
If you run courses and events for professionals who work with deaf children and their families, and would like to tell NDCS members about them, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also be interested in training and events run by the National Children’s Bureau (NCB). Previous and current courses include successful commissioning, involving disabled children in choices and decisions, demystifying research evidence, involving disabled children in planning and reviews, supporting children, parents and families, and building a culture of participation. Further information here.