Making Activities Deaf Friendly - training for professionals
Are you a leader or coach working with children and young people?
Would you like to find out how you can genuinely include deaf young people in your activities?
Attend one of our courses to gain an understanding of deafness and learn how to make simple adaptations to the activities that you run, to ensure that they are deaf-friendly.
Our Deaf-friendly training courses are delivered throughout the UK and are aimed at professionals working with young people. Whether you run a football club, a girlguiding or scouts group, a dance or drama class, or any other activity that young people can take part in, this course is for you!
What is covered in the training?
Courses are 3.5 hours long (10am - 1.30pm) and include:
- Introduction to the National Deaf Children's Society and our Inclusive Activities work
- Deafness - what is it and how does it impact on deaf children?
- Communication - learn top tips for communicating with deaf children, including the fingerspelling alphabet and some basic British Sign Language
- Technology - find out about the aids and equipment that deaf children use
- Health and safety - what should you consider?
- How to adapt activities - learn some deaf friendly games that you can use with your group
You will also receive resources and a training pack that you can take away with you.
Course participants from the last round of courses told us:
"All sessions today were very interesting and useful. I've got so much to take away with me. Thank you."
"It was a great course. The tutors were really friendly and very good as trainers. The activities were great fun too."
Training dates and locations
All of the event listings below contain a hyperlink which will direct you to the relevant Eventbrite listing to book a place
The National Deaf Children's Society offers places at a subsidised cost to both professionals and volunteers within their clubs, groups or centres.
Also in this Section
- Courses and events for professionals working with deaf children
- Bespoke workshops for professionals
- Education workshops
- Healthy Minds - training for professionals
- Making Activities Deaf Friendly training