Our vision and ambition
Our vision is a world without barriers for every deaf child.
Since we were founded more than 70 years ago, society has come a long way. But deaf children are still falling behind at school and being let down by vital services. And they still don’t have the same opportunities as hearing children.
It’s not just deaf children in the UK who face barriers. Through our international arm, Deaf Child Worldwide, we support deaf children in developing countries who are missing out on education and family life.
Our ambition is that, by 2030, no deaf child will be left behind – at school, in their community or at home.
To determine our strategy we asked deaf young people, their families and professionals about the barriers they face, and how we can help to change things. Their experiences are central to everything we do.
Between 2017 and 2022 we will focus on three fundamental areas where we can make the biggest difference.
- We’ll continue fighting to improve the services received by deaf children and young people.
- We’ll champion the development of good language and communication skills.
- We’ll shine a spotlight on the importance of being independent and the transition into adulthood.
We believe that, working together with you – deaf children and young people, our members, volunteers and supporters and campaigners – we can make a real difference to the lives of many deaf children and young people.
Our strategy includes the promise that we will:
- continue to give life-changing support to deaf children of all ages
- never stop improving our services
- work closely with deaf children and their families, and work collaboratively with partner organisations
- reach out to families who may otherwise miss out on support
- build our reputation as a recognised global expert on childhood deafness
- continue to value our amazing members and supporters by fundraising in line with our ethical policy and making sure that every penny we raise is spent wisely.
What does success look like?
Over the five years of the strategy we’ll monitor progress towards our ambition by tracking key measures of deaf children’s educational attainment and life satisfaction.
We’ll also track specific indicators of:
- the availability, accessibility and quality of national and local services
- deaf children’s language and communication skills
- deaf young people’s life skills, continuing education and employment.
Deaf children have a bright future – but only if we continue to break down the barriers they face. Your help will be vital in reaching our goal. Together we can overcome the barriers that hold deaf children back.