Supporting the achievement of hearing impaired children in early years settings
This resource is for anyone working with children with a hearing impairment in early years settings, including:
- parent and toddler group
- nursery - playgroup
- at home, if you are a childminder.
Staff in these settings will have valuable childcare experience that will benefit deaf children. Because of their hearing loss, the deaf child will have particular needs that are different from hearing children. It will help you to:
- understand the needs of the deaf child
- make sure the environment and activities in your early years setting are accessible for deaf children
- enable the deaf child to make progress towards achieving early learning goals particularly in the area of language development
- know where to go for extra support.