The Big Step Forward
Sign up now and stride towards a world without barriers for deaf children
In 2020, the pandemic kept us all cooped up. But 2021 is the time to get outside and take a Big Step Forward for deaf children!
Improve your fitness levels by taking on one of our three fundraising walking challenges – 5k, 10k or 50k in a week – and help make sure deaf children don’t get left behind.
Why do deaf children need your support?
Coronavirus has turned everyone’s lives upside down. But deaf children are facing challenges that most people won’t have thought of, such as:
- How to communicate with someone who’s wearing a face mask – when you need to lip-read to understand, even if you use sign language.
- How to cope when you need to catch up at school, because online lessons weren’t accessible during lockdown.
- The heartache of having reduced hearing while you wait much longer to get your hearing aids fixed, and missing out on friendships and fun.
Deaf children are being forgotten at a time when they need support the most, and the impact on their futures could be catastrophic. We need your help today so we can stride into a positive new year for deaf children.
How to take part
You can strike out on your own, walk as a family or with socially distanced friends (please follow local guidelines). Walk to get fit, to keep healthy new year’s resolutions, and to take a step closer to a world without barriers for deaf children.
No matter how, why or where you choose to walk, we’re here to support you along the way. So, how do you get involved?
- Sign up to our Big Step Forward team. We’ll send you everything you need to walk the distance of your choice.
- Plan your walk – 5k, 10k or 50k in a week – and ask for donations.
- Take on your walk in the new year and take a Big Step Forward for deaf children!
Claim your free fundraising pack
Sign up today and you’ll receive a free fundraising pack, filled with tools to help you start fundraising, and a T-shirt to wear during your fundraising walk.
Looking for another challenge? We also have places in half marathons and the London Marathon, and if you’re feeling more adventurous, we even have skydives available! Visit our New Year, Fresh Start page for more information.