Wellcomm Primary: The complete speech and language toolkit
The Wellcomm Primary Toolkit is a new norm referenced assessment tool in a similar format to the well-established Wellcomm Early Years Toolkit.
The toolkit uses a traffic light system that identifies children requiring immediate intervention, as well as those who show potential language difficulties. The system bands children by placing them into one of the three following categories:
- Red: consider referral to a specialist service for further advice/assessment
- Amber: extra support and intervention required
- Green: no intervention currently required
6 – 11 years (see also early years version).
Who can use it?
SENCOs, teachers, teaching assistants, speech and language therapists and Teachers of the Deaf.
What does it consist of?
The toolkit consists of a practitioner handbook, the Little Book of Scores and Rules, the age-appropriate Big Book of Ideas, and a cartoon picture book. The screening tool assesses understanding, grammar, vocabulary, narrative and social skills with questions requiring direct assessment or observations of children’s interpretation of cartoon images found in the picture book.
This is all supported by helpful short videos and an online Wellcomm Wizard which helps calculate scores and produce reports.
- Simple and quick to use - 20 minutes.
- It has little or no retest effect and can be used by a wide variety of practitioners without special training.
- The linked Big Book of Ideas of 50 activities is tailored according to ability and focuses on particular areas of difficulty such as understanding, grammar, vocabulary, narrative or social skills. These can be shared with parents and carers so pupils can continue to develop their skills at home.
- There are good supportive videos available online showing how to use the toolkit.
- There are some concerns about the scoring being very linked to expected progression - not allowing for any special or additional needs. This could be disheartening for families always having scores in the 'red'.
- It is not appropriate for deaf children using BSL.
- Complete Primary Set is expensive.
Is there a cost?
Where can I access it?
You can access the assessment on the GL Assessment website.