This is a restricted page.

You have 5 restricted page views available.

Members area

Sign in


Don't have an account?

Join us

Member benefits

  • Information and advice Information and advice to help support deaf children and young people
  • Free Families magazine Inspirational stories, information, support and advice in print and online
  • Email newsletters Information, tips and real-life stories relevant to your child’s age
  • Test our tech Trial new technology to find what works for your child at home or in school
Menu Open mobile desktop menu

What if I disagree with a Disability Living Allowance decision?

Photo: Find out what to do if you disagree with a DLA decision

If you disagree with a Disability Living Allowance (DLA) decision you can ask for a mandatory reconsideration (also known as a revision). You must do this within one month of getting the decision.

You can send in extra evidence at this stage and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) may decide it needs further information too. The mandatory reconsideration should take no more than a few weeks. The decision can increase or decrease your benefit, take it away altogether, or confirm the original decision.

If you aren’t happy with the outcome of the mandatory reconsideration you can appeal to an independent tribunal. You must do this within one month of getting the decision.

Find out more about mandatory reconsideration and appeals in our factsheets

If you disagree with the tribunal’s decision you may be able to appeal to the upper tribunal. Details of how and when to do this are in our factsheet Appealing Against a Decision by the First-Tier Tribunal.

Should I complain as well?

Appealing is usually quite a long process, in some cases it can help if you make a complaint too. If the complaint is upheld it could help your case to be looked at again. You can also complain at the mandatory reconsideration stage.

In many cases you can make a complaint and ask for a revision of the decision at the same time.

Remember: if you don’t make a compliant and request a revision at the same time you might lose your right to ask for a reconsideration or appeal if you exceed the one month time limit while waiting for the outcome of your complaint.

What if my child’s circumstances change?

If your child is getting DLA and their circumstances change or new information becomes available that could change the DWP’s decision, you can ask for their DLA claim to be looked at again. This is called a supersession.

You should get advice (for example, you could contact our Freephone Helpline before asking for a supersession as it could lead to your child’s DLA being reduced or stopped completely.