This is a restricted page.

You have 5 restricted page views available.

Members area

Sign in


Don't have an account?

Join us

Member benefits

  • Information and advice Information and advice to help support deaf children and young people
  • Free Families magazine Inspirational stories, information, support and advice in print and online
  • Email newsletters Information, tips and real-life stories relevant to your child’s age
  • Test our tech Trial new technology to find what works for your child at home or in school
Menu Open mobile desktop menu

Can I receive Personal Independence Payment on my child’s behalf?

Photo: A 16-year-old with mental capacity has the right to manage their PIP claim themselves

Yes, you can be their ‘appointee’. However, most deaf young people can receive the payments themselves.

It’s an opportunity for them to learn how to manage money, and you can still support them with their claim without being an appointee.

A 16-year-old has the right to decide to manage their Personal Independence Payment (PIP) claim themselves unless the DWP is satisfied that they don’t have capacity or are too severely disabled to manage their claim.  

If you become your child’s appointee they can ask the DWP to change this in the future so that they are responsible for their own claim. 

If you do apply to be an appointee, a representative from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will visit and talk to you and your child. The purpose of the visit is to assess the capabilities of your child and decide whether you’re a suitable appointee.

They’ll interview you both and help you fill out the appointee application form. They’ll start out with the assumption that your child is capable unless they demonstrate otherwise.

If the DWP agrees with the application you’ll be sent Form BF57 which confirms you’ve been formally appointed, but it’s important to remember your child can challenge this decision.

The DWP will monitor the situation to make sure it’s still suitable.

If you are your child’s appointee, it’s your responsibility to deal with all aspects of the claim, including, for example, telling the DWP about any changes of circumstances that could affect the claim.