Members area



Don't have a login?

Join us

Become a member

  • Connect with others through events, workshops, campaigns and our NEW online forum, Your Community
  • Discover information and insights in our resource hub and receive the latest updates via email and Families magazine
  • Access one-to-one support and tailored services which help reduce barriers for deaf children
  • Borrow technology and devices which support deaf children’s communication and independence
Menu Open mobile desktop menu

Can my deaf child claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

Photo: See if your child can claim PIP


To claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) your child must:

  • be at least 16 years old
  • be in Great Britain or Northern Ireland (your child can continue to get PIP if they’re abroad for a short period temporarily)
  • have been in Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) or Northern Ireland for at least 104 weeks out of the last 156 weeks
  • satisfy the habitual residence test
  • have a disability and/or illness which makes it more difficult to move around or manage daily activities
  • have had difficulties with daily living activities and mobility for the last three months and expect this to last for at least the next nine months.

Can my child claim if they go to a residential college?

Yes. When your child goes to a residential college they can keep the mobility component of PIP.

They’ll then lose the daily living component for any complete days (midnight to midnight) spent in a residential college after the first 28 days.

Days spent travelling between home and college count as days at college.

Two or more periods in a residential college will be added together towards the 28 days if 28 days or less separates them.

Example of a young person's eligibility for the daily living component of PIP when attending a residential college.

An uninterrupted period of 28 days at home is needed to start this process again, which would usually only happen in the summer holidays.