Members area



Don't have a login?

Join us

Become a member

  • Connect with others through events, workshops, campaigns and our NEW online forum, Your Community
  • Discover information and insights in our resource hub and receive the latest updates via email and Families magazine
  • Access one-to-one support and tailored services which help reduce barriers for deaf children
  • Borrow technology and devices which support deaf children’s communication and independence
Menu Open mobile desktop menu

What supporting evidence should my child include with their claim?

Photo: It's important to send in evidence to support your PIP claim

To increase your child’s chances of a successful claim it’s important to send in evidence that backs up what they’ve said in the How your disability affects you form.

This could be supporting letters from people who know your child, copies of reports or assessments, or a diary detailing a typical day or week.

Make sure your child reads all the supporting evidence carefully to make sure it isn’t out of date or contradicts what they’ve put in the form. Supporting evidence also needs to focus on the activities asked about in the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) form.

Personal statement

Your child can write a personal statement in support of their claim, including any difficulties they have in their day-to-day life with the PIP activities.

Examples may include:

  • when it’s noisy and they can’t hear speech clearly
  • difficulties with group conversations when people speak all at once
  • when people talk too fast or use unfamiliar words
  • not seeing people’s lips clearly because they turn away, cover their mouth, or have a beard or veil that hides their lips
  • difficulty following the lip patterns of people who are unfamiliar or have accents
  • having to take someone for support at appointments so that they understand all the information
  • problems using public transport, e.g. regularly missing trains due to inability to hear announcements at the train station.

Here is a template your child could use to write their personal statement.

Write your own supporting letter

You can write your own letter or statement to support your child’s claim. Make sure everything you say is related to the PIP activities and descriptors, otherwise it won’t be relevant.

Supporting letters from others

It will also help to get supporting letters from people who know your child well.

We’ve given some examples below, with suggestions of the sort of information that would be helpful for them to include in their letter.

Giving them information about PIP activities and the descriptors will help them to focus on the things most relevant to your child’s PIP claim.


  • Explain your child’s audiogram and what your child’s level of deafness means in practice.
  • Explain that your child needs specialised teaching methods and adapted teaching materials.
  • Explain that your child can’t tell what caused a sound or what direction it comes from.
  • Your child could show their audiologist our resource Writing Reports for Non-Specialist Audiences. It has lots of useful information to help them write a letter that gives other agencies, like the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), a full understanding of your child's needs.

Speech and language therapist

  • As above, but focus more on the need for structured speech and language development.

Ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist

  • Explain the type of deafness your child has, what it means in practice and what support your child needs.


  • Explain the type of deafness and the impact it has on your child's everyday life.


  • Explain your child’s needs and the use of special teaching strategies to help with their education and social, communication and academic development.
  • If your child has ‘special arrangements’ or extra time for exams it would be worth mentioning it here.
  • We’ve created some guidance for teachers who have been asked to support a PIP claim.


If your child is employed, their employer can explain any extra support your child has in the workplace.

Social worker

  • Explain how your child’s deafness affects them and what their needs are. This could include difficulties with understanding new concepts, developing language, communicating and mixing with hearing people, as well as danger when outdoors (particularly traffic coming from behind).

Other professional

If your child sees any other professionals because of additional disabilities or health conditions they could ask them to write a supporting letter detailing the impact their deafness has on their ability to manage this additional disability.

Close family member or friend

  • Explain the impact your child’s deafness has on the family and give details of any recent dangerous events that happened because of your child’s deafness.

Reports, assessments and support plans

If your child has a statement of special educational needs (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) or an Education, Health and Care plan (England) or a coordinated support plan (Scotland) it could help their claim if they send in a copy.

Other reports and assessments from professionals such as a speech and language therapist or educational psychologist could also be sent in if they are relevant to the PIP claim and descriptors.