Fostering a deaf child
Our practical guide gives foster carers the key information they need to know when they start caring for a deaf child or young person.
The guide Deaf Children and Young People in Foster Care provides tips about:
- Communication – dos and don’ts, fingerspelling and British Sign Language
- Hearing aid technology – common devices explained and hearing aid FAQs
- Sounds and how we hear them – to help you understand your child’s hearing levels
- Useful equipment – technology that can help at home and school
- Myth busters – six things you didn’t know about deaf children
- Further information – how we can help.
We've also produced a guide Deaf Children Who Become Looked After for care workers, to help children’s residential carers and key-workers supporting looked-after deaf children in those first few hours and days following a placement.