This page is for our members

If you would like to continue reading Close the window using the X

You can view 5 pages to see what we offer our members. You have 5 pages left.
After this we will ask you to join the National Deaf Children’s Society.

to become a free member or sign in with your email address and password to access all areas of our website.

This will give you full access to:

  • The latest information, advice and event listings.
  • Our publications area where you can download, or order, our latest resources.
  • E-newsletters, with tips and real life stories.
  • One to one advice from our Helpline and Children and Families’ Support Officers.

Plus much more!!

Members area



Don't have an account?

Join us

Member benefits

  • Information and advice Information and advice to help support deaf children and young people
  • Free Families magazine Inspirational stories, information, support and advice in print and online
  • Email newsletters Information, tips and real-life stories relevant to your child’s age
  • Test our tech Trial new technology to find what works for your child at home or in school
Menu Open mobile desktop menu

Can my deaf child claim Personal Independence Payment?

Photo: See if your child can claim PIP

To claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) your child must:

  • be at least 16 years old
  • be in Great Britain or Northern Ireland (your child can continue to get PIP if they’re abroad for a short period temporarily)
  • have been in Great Britain or Northern Ireland for at least 104 weeks out of the last 156 weeks
  • satisfy the habitual residence test.
  • have a disability and/or illness which makes it more difficult to move around or manage daily activities
  • have had difficulties with daily living activities and mobility for the last three months and expect this to last for at least the next nine months.

My child goes to a residential college. Can they claim?

Yes. When your child goes to a residential college they can keep the mobility component of PIP.

They’ll then lose the daily living component for any complete days (midnight to midnight) spent in a residential college after the first 28 days.

Days spent travelling between home and college count as days at college.

Two or more periods in a residential college will be added together towards the 28 days if 28 days or less separates them.

Example of a young person's eligibility for the daily living component of PIP when attending a residential college.

An uninterrupted period of 28 days at home is needed to start this process again, which would usually only happen in the summer holidays.