Rights to financial support
There is a range of welfare benefits and grants that deaf children and their families might be eligible for.
The main disability benefits are:
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children and young people under 16.
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for people aged 16-65.
Other benefits include:
- Carer’s Allowance (CA) for people caring for 35 hours a week.
- Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) for people aged 16-65 who can’t work due to a disability or health condition.
- Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) for students from low-income households in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) to help to pay for extra equipment and support for disabled students in higher education (university).
There are also grant-giving organisations that support deaf children and young people and their families.
For more information on benefits and grants go to Financial support.