Members area

Sign in


Don't have an account?

Join us

Member benefits

  • Information and advice Information and advice to help support deaf children and young people
  • Free Families magazine Inspirational stories, information, support and advice in print and online
  • Email newsletters Information, tips and real-life stories relevant to your child’s age
  • Test our tech Trial new technology to find what works for your child at home or in school
Menu Open mobile desktop menu

What is PIP?

Photo: PIP is available for people with disabilities aged 16-64

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is money given by the government (known as a benefit) for people aged 16-64 whose disability means they have difficulty with daily living or getting around.

Some deaf people can get PIP – it depends how much your deafness affects you.
PIP isn’t means-tested or taxed. It has nothing to do with how much money you (or your parents if you live at home) earn or have in savings.

PIP doesn’t reduce any other benefits you (or your parents if you live at home) are getting – in fact in some cases getting PIP will lead to other benefits.

You can get PIP if you’re studying, and it doesn’t matter if you have a job or not.

You could get between £22.65 and £145.35 a week by claiming PIP.

The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself. This means people with the same disability or level of deafness might get different levels of PIP.

It is usually paid directly to you unless you are unable to manage your own money and need someone to help you, usually called an appointee.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

DLA is for children aged 0-16, and the payments are made to parents/carers, not the child. DLA is assessed differently to PIP so you get different benefits.

If your parents have been getting DLA for you, you will get a letter inviting you to claim PIP before you turn 16! When you get this letter, you will need to make a claim for PIP 4 weeks of the letter.

If no one has been getting DLA for you, you will need to contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to claim PIP?

Can I get PIP?
PIP is paid in two parts (called components):

  1. Daily living (normal, day-to-day activities)
  2. Mobility (getting around outside).

It’s possible for deaf people to claim both parts even if they don’t have any physical difficulties walking. Each part looks at different activities.

Daily living activities

  1. Preparing food.
  2. Eating and drinking.
  3. Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition, including taking medication.
  4. Washing and bathing.
  5. Managing toilet needs or incontinence
  6. Dressing and undressing
  7. Communicating verbally
  8. Reading and understanding signs, symbols and words
  9. Dealing with other people face to face
  10. Making decisions about money.

Mobility activities

  1. Planning and following journeys
  2. Moving around.

You have to have had difficulties with daily living or getting around (or both) for 3 months, and expect these difficulties to continue for at least 9 months.

If you need help with DLA or PIP queries, you can chat to our Helpline by:

• emailing [email protected] or using the livechat
• Freephone: 0808 800 8880

Find out more: