Write Now! summer writing course
A week-long, online course for deaf young people to try out different writing styles
Does your child dream of writing a novel or creating the script for a hit film? Do they like expressing themselves through poetry, or want to have their own blog? If so, our online writing course could be just what they’re looking for this summer.
Write Now! is a fun space for deaf young people to get to know each other while trying out new writing styles. Throughout the week, we’ll have sessions on:
- Short story writing, with Sarah Driver
- Script writing, with Siân Owen
- Poetry, with Justin Coe
- Interviews and journalistic writing, with Families Magazine Editor Kerrina Grey
After the course, each young person will get to write a piece in a style of their choosing for our brand new mini-magazine (‘zine’), to be published alongside our Families Magazine!
Who this course is recommended for
Deaf young people aged 8 to 14.
When and where
- Monday 9 August to Friday 13 August
- 11.00am to 12.30pm each day
- on Zoom.
As part of the application for this course, your child will need to write a short answer telling us why they would like to take part. It may be helpful to have this prepared before you start the application.
More information: what your child will need to take part
Your child will need access to a computer, smartphone or tablet, and an internet connection. Once we’ve confirmed their place, we’ll email you full joining instructions.
What will happen each day
- 11.00am: Log on to Zoom. Your child will meet their hosts and everyone else taking part.
- 11.15am: Warm up with a fun game.
- 11.30am: Each day a different writer will guide the group through some fun activities to help grow their writing skills.
- 12:30am: Session ends.
We will have spoken English, live captions and British Sign Language interpreters at this event. If you have any questions or additional requirements, please email us at [email protected].
Meet the hosts
Amy and Arran from the National Deaf Children’s Society will be on hand to answer questions.
Your child may also like...
Ages 8 to 14, workshop on 31 July
Time online for children to enjoy creative writing with a published author.