2021 Online Conference
Let's Work it Out. Deaf young people and employment.
Our exclusive online conference was designed for professionals, employers and organisations to gain knowledge, skills and confidence working with deaf young people on their journey into working life.
Deaf people work in a wide range of roles from doctors to musicians to electricians. With the right support deaf people can work everywhere but are twice as likely to be unemployed as their hearing peers. Deaf young people are poorly informed about their rights and the support available to them in the workplace. However, through your support we can together make a difference in closing the employment gap.
Our conference highlighted best practice and guidance and gave practical ideas for supporting deaf young people in their journey into employment.
This event was focussed around 3 main themes:
- How you can support deaf young people to access opportunities and move into work, including volunteering, work experience, and employability programmes.
- The broad range of jobs and careers available to deaf young people.
- Tools and resources available for providing tailored careers support to deaf young people.
Young people played a central role in the conference. There were opportunities to learn about personal experiences first hand from deaf young people in employment.
How was it delivered?
The conference was available online. Our innovative virtual conference centre included:
• presentations, videos, and live questions and answers with leading experts and young deaf role models
• recorded content that can be accessed for up to 29 days after the event
• a unique experience – with the opportunity to network with other delegates and exhibitors in the virtual lobby, auditorium, exhibition hall and lounge areas
• virtual conference bag where useful resources and information could be saved for access later.
Why people attended
Delegates heard from high-profile leaders and practitioners about the importance of supporting deaf young people in their preparation for employment. They gained insight into the challenges faced and best practice ideas in improving the support provided to them.
Couldn’t join us on the day?
You don’t have to miss out. get in touch to express your interest in accessing the full conference content which will be available to purchase in January 2022. Please contact us via email at [email protected].