Online information sessions for professionals
Professionals who support or work with deaf children and young people are invited to join our free, online information and advice sessions.
During the live sessions, you'll be able to:
- learn more about supporting deaf children and young people, particularly during the current COVID-19 pandemic
- join discussions with other professionals
- ask questions to our experts.
Our sessions cover all levels of deafness unless specified.
How to join our online sessions
You will need access to a computer, smartphone or tablet with an internet connection to access our online sessions using Zoom.
Registering beforehand is essential, as places are limited. Only people who have registered will be admitted. After registering, you'll receive a confirmation email with joining instructions and a password.
If you are unable to attend, for some of our sessions you can register to receive a recording (unless stated otherwise).
Closed captioning and British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters are available for all our online events. You will be able to ask questions using the chat function, which will be moderated.
If you require a Welsh translation, please contact us at least a week before the session.
If you have any questions or would like to find out more, please email [email protected].
Previous session recordings
Many of our previous sessions are available on-demand. Find out more about the recordings we have made available and request access.
A Bright Start for Every Deaf Child
- Multiple dates in October and November
- recommended for practitioners who currently (or plan to) support deaf children in early years settings.
This series of six sessions will provide practitioners with the understanding and tools to support deaf children in early years settings.
We'll cover a range of deaf-specific topics, with information about learning and development, the impact deafness may have on a child in an early years setting, and how to improve childcare provision.
- deaf awareness
- language and communication
- mental health and wellbeing
- parent partnerships
- sensory stories
- British Sign Language
We'll also support you to plan how you can apply your new skills for individual children in your setting.
Live at 4 Webinars: Technology
- Tuesday 19 October
- 4pm to 5.15pm
- recommended for professionals who work with deaf young people.
Gavin Songer, our Technology Research Officer, will deliver this live session on Technology. The session will cover all levels of deafness, with a focus on how radio aids can benefit those with mild, temporary, or moderate hearing loss.
You will find out about:
- supporting deaf children and young people, particularly around how radio aids work and what the options are for different age groups
- the types of technology products available for deaf children and young people
- the different types of radio aid transmitters and receivers
- how and where to obtain technology
- where to get additional training in order to make the most of radio aids.
There will be time for a Q&A with our experts.
Professionals Working Together at CHSWGs
- Fully booked: 23 November
- 3.30pm to 5.00pm
- recommended for professionals.
Are you involved with your local Children’s Hearing Services Working Group (CHSWG) already? Have you been invited to take part or would like to go along?
Our free 90 minute workshop will give you the tools you need to really understand your role.
You will meet other professionals who are also part of CHSWG to share ideas and experiences. We’ll think more about the strategic impact a CHSWG can have and how you can support your group to make a real difference for deaf children and their families.
Together we’ll also discuss how you can play a key role in making sure that families and deaf young people have a voice at CHSWG.
This event is now fully booked, however you are welcome to register your interest and we will email you when future sessions become available.