Raising a Deaf Child – commissioned family course
Our Raising a Deaf Child course helps to provide parents with the skills and confidence to support their child through any challenges they might face
The course can be booked by schools, local authorities, voluntary organisations and any other services that work with families of deaf children. We can deliver the course directly to the families you work with.
The course is suitable for up to 20 parents and carers of deaf children aged 0-11 years.
What will the course cover?
Our experience facilitators will deliver the Raising a Deaf Child course via Zoom through a series of interactive sessions. Each session lasts approximately 50 minutes and covers one of the below topics. You, or the families you work with, are able to choose seven topics from the list below, which shows the most popular topics in bold:
- Behaviour, feelings and needs
- Becoming the parent of a deaf child
- The impact of deafness on family
- Exploring the deaf child’s identity
- Talking about feelings
- Building your child’s self-esteem
- Causes of challenging behaviour
- Promoting positive behaviour
- Stopping unacceptable behaviour
- Communicating with your child
- Learning: comfort to panic zones
- Playing and relaxing
- Learning and motivation
- Ages and stages of brain development
- Anger and strong feelings
- Working with Practitioners
- Managing risks
- Bullying and deaf children
- Keeping safe on line
- Sleep issues
Additionally, there is an opening and closing session, making the total number of sessions nine. Parents will also be taught practical strategies on how to deal with day-to-day issues.
Tailoring the course to meet your parents’ needs
By commissioning the course for the families you work with, we can create a bespoke proposal. We’ll work with you to identify their needs and adapt the course content to cover topics and situations that will be the most useful to them.
How long does the course take?
The course is split into nine sessions. Each session or topic lasts approximately 50 minutes. We can be flexible with how the sessions are run so that they suit parents' schedules.
How is the course delivered?
Each course will be delivered by two of our trained course facilitators.
Our courses are currently delivered via Zoom.
For a one-off cost, we’ll provide:
- an online Raising a Deaf Child parenting course that covers seven topics, as well as an introductory and concluding session
- our trained and experienced facilitators who will lead the sessions with groups of up to 20 parents and carers
- follow-up materials such as information sheets and activities to do at home to be shared with course participants
- evaluation methods for you to share with the parents
- an evaluation report based on the parents’ feedback before and after the course.
Course price: £1,400
As this course is part of our charitable activities, VAT is not charged.
Commission us to deliver this course
If you’d like to book the course or find out more information, please register your interest and we’ll be in touch to discuss your requirements.