Raising a Deaf Child – commissioned family course
Our Raising a Deaf Child course helps to provide parents with the skills and confidence to support their child through any challenges they might face
The course can be booked by schools, local authorities, voluntary organisations and any other services that work with families of deaf children. We can deliver the course directly to the families you work with.
The course is suitable for up to 20 parents and carers of deaf children aged 0-11 years.
What will the course cover?
The course is delivered by our friendly, expert facilitators through a series of interactive sessions. They'll cover a range of topics relating to raising a deaf child. You'll be able to select the topics that are most relevant to the families you work with. The most popular topics include:
- keeping your child safe online
- sleep issues
- behaviours, feelings and needs
- communicating with your child
- learning and motivation
- promoting positive behaviour
- ages and stages of brain development.
Parents will also be taught practical strategies on how to deal with day-to-day issues.
Tailoring the course to meet your parents’ needs
By commissioning the course for the families you work with, we can create a bespoke proposal. We’ll work with you to identify their needs and adapt the course content to cover topics and situations that will be the most useful to them.
How long does the course take?
The course is split into nine sessions. Each session or topic lasts approximately 50 minutes. We can be flexible with how the sessions are run so that they suit parents' schedules.
How is the course delivered?
Each course will be delivered by one of our trained course facilitators.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, this course will take place online using Zoom. Face-to-face courses won’t be available until 2021/2022, this is subject to change.
For a one-off cost, we’ll provide:
- an online Raising a Deaf Child parenting course that covers seven topics, as well as an introductory and concluding session
- our trained and experienced facilitator who will lead the sessions with groups of up to 20 parents and carers
- follow-up materials such as information sheets and activities to do at home to be shared with course participants
- evaluation methods for you to share with the parents
- an evaluation report based on the parents’ feedback before and after the course.
Course price: £1,400
As this course is part of our charitable activities, VAT is not charged.
Commission us to deliver this course
If you’d like to book the course or find out more information, please register your interest and we’ll be in touch to discuss your requirements.