Deaf-friendly Youth Activities
Would you like to make your activities more inclusive?
Our deaf-friendly activities training workshop is designed for activity providers, leaders and coaches working with children and young people.
It is designed to be fun and interactive while providing the opportunity to gain a greater understanding of deafness and to learn how to genuinely include deaf children and young people in your activities.
- Introduction to the National Deaf Children's Society and our work
- Deafness – what is it and how does it impact on deaf children?
- Communication - learn top tips for communicating with deaf children.
- Technology - find out about the aids and equipment that deaf children use.
- Health and safety – points to consider when running your activities.
- How to adapt activities - learn some deaf friendly games that you can use with your group.
Who is this for?
This workshop is designed for activity providers, leaders and coaches working with children and young people.
Tailoring to your organisation’s needs
Whilst the key themes of this workshop remain consistent, our expert trainers will work to apply the content to the context of your specific organisation.
Book your bespoke training package
We will endeavour to get back to you within 5 days to discuss your requirements.
Damian Ball is a Youth Development Officer and has worked at the National Deaf Children’s Society for 12 years.
Damian leads on the development of opportunities for deaf young people, including volunteering, work experience and the performing arts. He has also delivered training to a range of professionals in sport, such as swimming and football, on how to make their activities deaf-friendly, and feel more confident about communicating with deaf children.
Damian has been deaf since birth, and has worked in the youth sector for over 15 years. He is currently studying for a Masters degree in Youth Work and Community Development at De Montfort University.
“Thoroughly enjoyable and interactive. Great work!”
“It was a great course. The tutors were really friendly and very good as trainers. The activities were great fun too.”
What if I need to cancel?
You can cancel your place at any time, however the following charges apply.
- 20 working days or less before the planned date - you will be charged 100% of the total cost
- 21 - 30 working days before the planned date - you will be charged 50% of the total cost
- 31 working days before the planned date - you will not be charged