Deaf-friendly youth activities
Would you like to make your activities more inclusive?
Our deaf-friendly activities training is open to activity providers, leaders and coaches working with young people.
It is designed to be fun and interactive while providing the opportunity to gain a greater understanding of deafness and to learn how to genuinely include deaf children and young people in your activities.
We run up to three open access courses each year and places are offered at a subsidised cost.
Courses are 3.5 hours long and topics covered include the following:
- Introduction to the National Deaf Children's Society and our work
- Deafness – what is it and how does it impact on deaf children?
- Communication - learn top tips for communicating with deaf children.
- Technology - find out about the aids and equipment that deaf children use.
- Health and safety – points to consider when running your activities.
- How to adapt activities - learn some deaf friendly games that you can use with your group.
You will also receive information and resources post event to consolidate your learning.
What our delegates say:
“Thoroughly enjoyable and interactive. Great work!”
“It was a great course. The tutors were really friendly and very good as trainers. The activities were great fun too.”