Our vision, mission, values and strategy
Our vision is a world without barriers for every deaf child.
- Our mission
- Our values
- We believe that
- National Deaf Children's Society Strategy 2017 - 2022
- National Deaf Children's Society Constitution
To remove the barriers to the achievement of deaf children throughout the world.
Everything we do is targeted to bring us closer to our mission of a world without barriers for every deaf child. Whether challenging key decision makers or working collaboratively with other organisations, we will adopt whatever approach is required to achieve our mission.
As a membership organisation, we are accountable for everything we do, both to our members and to the deaf children and young people we are here to serve.
We believe that with the right support, deaf children can do anything other children can do. We empower deaf children, young people and their families to make informed choices and influence decisions affecting them. This approach is carried through into everything we do.
We aim to support all deaf children and young people, but put particular focus on those who most need our support. This includes deaf children from families in poverty, those with additional complex needs and those from a black and minority ethnic background.
We believe that
- Deaf children can do anything other children can do, given early diagnosis and the right support from the start.
- Deaf children should be involved in decisions which affect them at as early an age as possible.
- Families are the most important influence on deaf children and young people, and need clear, balanced information to make informed choices.
- Effective language and communication skills lie at the heart of deaf children and young people’s social, emotional and intellectual development.
- Deaf children should be valued by society and have the same opportunities as any other child.
National Deaf Children's Society Strategy 2017 - 2022
To decide our approach for our new strategy, we asked deaf young
people, their families and professionals about the challenges and how we
can help. Your experiences shaped the strategy and are at the heart of
everything we do. Our new strategy will provide a much clearer focus on three key areas:
- Improving the availability, design and quality of national and local service.
- Developing deaf children and young people’s language and communication skills
- Supporting the growth of deaf children’s independence and improving transitions into adulthood.
We look forward to sharing our strategy with you in the summer.
National Deaf Children's Society Constitution
The National Deaf Children's Society is a registered charity and a company limited by guarantee. Like all registered charities, we have a written constitution which comprises of a Memorandum and Articles. The Memorandum and Articles sets out the purpose of the charity and how it is to run itself.
Our Constitution comprises the charity's Memorandum, Articles and Rules.
These are available to download: