Deaf awareness information and resources
We have free booklets, DVDs and posters with deaf awareness tips to help hearing people communicate with deaf children:
- at home
- in school
- in after-school clubs, activities and other social settings
- at the doctor’s surgery.
To download or order any of these free resources simply login or sign up to our website.
Watch our videos on deaf awareness
Deaf awareness tips
Are you looking for some simple deaf awareness tips? We have:
- A flyer with tips for adults about communicating with deaf children.
These resources could be useful in the home, at school or at a club or activity where hearing and deaf people mix.
Deaf awareness in the home
- Have a look at our Family Sign Language website to start using basic sign language with your child.
- Read the communication section of our website to get more detailed information on how to develop a deaf child’s communication
Deaf awareness at school
Deaf awareness in social settings
- Look, Smile, Chat resources showing hearing young people the easy changes they can make to communicate with their deaf friends.
- Booklets, posters and videos aimed at helping leaders of arts and music clubs understand how to make their activities deaf friendly.
- Videos and leaflets on how to make sports activities deaf friendly.
- British Sign Language (BSL) version of the Rainbow, Brownie and Guide, or Beaver, Cub and Scout promises.
Deaf awareness at the doctor
- Watch, read and download our My life, My health resources. There are booklets, videos and posters for parents, deaf young people and health professionals to ensure that their trip to the doctor is as deaf friendly as possible.