People you may meet

It can be a daunting experience when you first find out your child has a hearing loss as most parents have no experience of deafness. However, there are a range of services, professionals and groups who can offer you and your child support. 

It’s important to remember that you will know your child better than any professional who works with you and your child. The  role of all the professionals listed below should be to support both of you and to encourage your child to develop as fully as possible.

Health services

You'll meet many professionals at the audiology clinic and in health care settings including audiologists, audiological physicians, community paediatricians, ENT consultants, genetic counsellors and speech and language therapists (SLT).

Education services

Teachers of the deaf (ToDs), educational psychologists and educational audiologists all have different roles but may all be able to help your child in an educational setting. Also contains information about hearing impaired services.

Social services

We explain the role of social services and how they can help you and your child.

Other people who can help

Learn about how the Deaf community can help and discover opportunities to meet other parents of deaf children.

If your child has a disability or illness as well as a hearing loss, you may be in contact with more professionals and other services.

Our Additional and complex needs (ACN) section is full of information and resources which you may find helpful.

Glossary Terms