Members area



Don't have a login?

Join us

Become a member

  • Connect with others through events, workshops, campaigns and our NEW online forum, Your Community
  • Discover information and insights in our resource hub and receive the latest updates via email
  • Access one-to-one support and tailored services which help reduce barriers for deaf children
Menu Open mobile desktop menu

Additional support in England

Does my deaf child have special educational needs (SEN)?

A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which means they need (or are likely to need) special educational provision to be made for them.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

  • have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or
  • have a disability which prevents them from using, or makes it harder them to use, facilities provided for others of the same age in a mainstream setting.

Not all deaf children will have SEN. For example, in England around 40% of deaf children aren’t formally identified as having SEN.

This section will give you lots more information on SEN and deaf children, and what to do if you think your child needs more support.