Members area



Don't have a login?

Join us

Become a member

  • Connect with others through events, workshops, campaigns and our NEW online forum, Your Community
  • Discover information and insights in our resource hub and receive the latest updates via email
  • Access one-to-one support and tailored services which help reduce barriers for deaf children
Menu Open mobile desktop menu

Getting speech and language therapy in Scotland

There are lots of ways children can be referred to speech and language therapy. You could discuss it with your child’s health visitor, GP or Teacher of the Deaf (ToD).

Alternatively, you can make a referral to speech and language therapy yourself. You can find the details for your local service by contacting your local health board or asking your GP or health visitor.

If your child is deaf and has additional needs, their speech, language and communication needs (SLCN) may be included in their personalised child’s plan.

You can find out more about speech and language therapy services in your area through the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT).

Private speech and language therapy

Some parents decide to pay for private speech and language therapy for their child. You can find a private speech and language therapist near you through the Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practice (ASLTIP website).

Make sure the therapist who works with your child has:

  • the appropriate training to support deaf children
  • experience of working with deaf children
  • knowledge of sign language (if appropriate)
  • a plan for liaising with the education team who support your child.

Making a complaint

If you’re struggling to get a speech and language assessment for your child, believe that your child’s needs have not been correctly identified or are unhappy with the speech and language therapy your child is receiving, ask to speak with the speech and language therapist or their manager. Try to be as clear and specific as possible. Before you speak to them, think about whether you’ve done everything they suggested and whether your child has made any progress at all.

If you continue to be unhappy with your child’s speech and language therapy, you could make a local complaint through your local Allied Health Professionals Manager or a formal complaint through the Health Professions Council (HPC).