Members area



Don't have a login?

Join us

Become a member

  • Connect with others through events, workshops, campaigns and our NEW online forum, Your Community
  • Discover information and insights in our resource hub and receive the latest updates via email
  • Access one-to-one support and tailored services which help reduce barriers for deaf children
Menu Open mobile desktop menu

Carer's Allowance (CA)

What is Carer’s Allowance?

Carer's Allowance is a benefit for people who care for someone, provided the person they care for receives certain benefits.

Can I claim Carer’s Allowance?

You could claim Carer’s Allowance if your child gets:

  • the middle or high rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA), or
  • the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

and you:

  • are 16 or over
  • spend at least 35 hours a week caring for your child
  • aren’t in full-time education
  • aren’t studying for 21 or more hours a week
  • earn no more than £120 a week (after taxes, care costs while at work and 50% of your pension contributions). Your pension doesn’t count as earnings.

You can claim Carer’s Allowance even if you have savings.

You can only claim Carer’s Allowance once, even if you care for more than one person.

Only one person can claim Carer’s Allowance for caring for someone, even if more than one person meets the eligibility conditions.

How much is Carer’s Allowance?

Carer’s Allowance is £76.75 a week. It counts as income when your entitlement to income-related benefits is worked out. This means that if you receive Universal Credit, Income Support or another income-related benefit and you’re awarded Carer’s Allowance, some money will be deducted. 

However, you will receive a carer premium of £36, so you'll still be better off. You'll also get National Insurance credits towards your state pension. Receiving Carer’s Allowance might also mean that you can apply for a council tax reduction.

Carer’s Allowance can't be paid at the same time as certain other benefits such as State Pension. It's still worth applying for these 'overlapping'  benefits because you may get a carer’s premium or addition which will increase any means-tested benefits you receive.

Impact on the cared for person

If you’re awarded and paid Carer’s Allowance, and the person you care for receives a means-tested benefit such as income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), their income may be reduced as they will lose their Severe Disability Premium (if they receive it). It's important to check before applying - for more information visit the government's Carer's Allowance Unit page.

How do I claim Carer's Allowance?

If you want to claim Carer’s Allowance you can apply online or download a paper form.