Supporting parents new to hearing loss - online events
If your baby, toddler, or child has been recently diagnosed as having hearing loss, we’re here to help.
We provide expert support to families of deaf children so that their child can have the same opportunities as everyone else. Whether you have some previous experience of deafness or none at all, our friendly expert team are on hand to support you and your child.
Grab a cuppa and chat online with our friendly experts and other parents of deaf children
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak and the difficulties of accessing many services right now, we’re hosting free virtual events to support parents and families of newly diagnosed deaf children.
These online sessions are open to all parents and carers of children, aged 0-12, who have been diagnosed in the past 18 months as having hearing loss. They're a great way to learn more about the support available for you and your child and to be part of a community of parents and carers of deaf children.
There are two sessions available to book. You are welcome to book onto both parts one and two, or whichever single session would be helpful to you.
Part one: First steps after diagnosis - support for deaf children and their families
Tuesday 16 March 2021, 5pm - 6pm
This session will be led by one of our friendly Advice and Guidance Officers who work in local communities across the UK supporting families of deaf children. They'll be providing lots of useful information and guidance for parents who have recently had their child diagnosed with hearing loss.
During the session, you'll also be able to:
- chat to our friendly experts about any questions or concerns you might have
- hear a real-life experience from the parent of a deaf child
- meet and chat with other families going through a similar experience and share your own experiences
- learn more about the different kinds of support and services available, and how we can support you and your child.
Part two: Understanding your child’s deafness with Audiologist Vicki Kirwin
Tuesday 23 March 2021, 5pm - 6pm
This session will be led by Vicki Kirwin, our Lead for Audiology and Senior Policy Advisor. Vicki will be providing more in-depth information about childhood deafness and providing advice on the best ways to support your child.
The session will also cover:
- understanding the differences between hearing and listening
- ideas for making the most of your child’s hearing
- how to access communication support for your child.