Members area



Don't have a login?

Join us

Become a member

  • Connect with others through events, workshops, campaigns and our NEW online forum, Your Community
  • Discover information and insights in our resource hub and receive the latest updates via email
  • Access one-to-one support and tailored services which help reduce barriers for deaf children
Menu Open mobile desktop menu

After the hearing

Photo: It’s a good idea to inform the DWP as soon as you receive the written decision from the Tribunal service

If you've won your appeal there’s still a slight chance the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) might appeal the decision. This is very unusual in Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP) cases but the DWP has the right, in limited circumstances, to appeal to the Upper Tribunal. The DWP has a month to appeal, if this happens you won’t receive payment until either the DWP withdraw their appeal or their request is refused. Contact our freephone Helpline if this happens.

As the DWP has the right to appeal there is often a delay of a month to six weeks before the benefit is paid. If the delay is longer than this in paying the benefit you are owed then you should contact the DWP to find out what’s happened.

It’s a good idea to inform the DWP as soon as you receive the written decision from the tribunal service to help speed the process up.

If you’re dissatisfied with their response you can complain. If you’re experiencing hardship explain this to them and if it isn’t resolved quickly speak to your local MP. You can find out how to contact them here.  

You can complain and request a special payment, similar to compensation, when there is a delay. This is usually a small amount of money but if you want to do this then you’ll need to put this in writing and detail any financial losses as well as the impact the delay has caused.

Can I appeal again if I lose the appeal?

If you disagree with their decision you may be able to appeal to the upper tribunal, find out more by reading our resource Appealing Against a Decision by the First-Tier Tribunal.