Other health resources
Find out about other resources developed by the Government or other organisations that may be helpful for your work.
Please note that inclusion of these other resources should not be taken to imply endorsement. Email us at [email protected] if you think there are other helpful resources we can include.
NHS England, working with other organisations such as the Local Government Association and Public Health England, have produced guidance on carrying out JSNAs to understand the prevalence and impact of hearing loss. It aims to support local authorities and NHS commissioners to meet their statutory duties to assess the needs of local populations, advance equality and commission high-quality services. It includes a number of sections on the needs of deaf children.
- Kids Audiologist blog – Learning events for audiologists
- Test protocols, recommended procedures and guidance available from the British Society of Audiology
- Guidelines and Clinical Standards for aetiological investigations and medical practice available from the British Association of Audiovestibular Physicians
- Procedures for the setting up of fm radio systems for use with hearing aids (2002)MCHAS/Connevans
- Improving Quality in Physiological Services Standards and Web-based tool (2017) UKAS
- Quality Standards for the use of personal radio aids (2017) NDCS/FM Working Group
- Position statement: Early identification of deafness in childhood (following newborn hearing screen) (2017) NDCS
- Position statement: Audiology Service Provision in the UK (2016) NDCS
- Position statement: Insurance and Replacement of Hearing Aid Equipment (2014) NDCS
- Action Plan on Hearing Loss (2015) Department for Health & NHS England
- Children & Young People: Audiology Service Specification Template (2016) NHS England
- Lessons from accredited paediatric audiology services: Why commission and provide an IQIPS accredited service? (2015) NDCS
- Guidelines for the Taking of Impressions and Provision of Ear Moulds within a Children’s Hearing Aid Service (2005) Modernising Children’s Hearing Aid Services (MCHAS)
- Guidelines for Professional Links between Audiology and Education Services within a Children’s Hearing Aid Service (2005) MCHAS
- Guidelines for testing Digital Signal Processing Hearing Aids 'In the Field' within an integrated Children’s Hearing Aid Service (2005) MCHAS
- Guidelines for the Fitting, Verification and Evaluation of digital signal processing hearing aids within a Children’s Hearing Aid Service (2005) MCHAS
- Quality Standards: Early years support for children with a hearing loss, aged 0 to 5 (2016) NDCS
- Transforming audiology services for children with hearing difficulties and their families (2008) NHS England (Archived)
- Manual for prescribed specialised services (2018/19) NHS England
- Quality Standards for Paediatric Audiology Services (2019) HSC Business Services Organisation
- Best Practices in Family-Centered Early Intervention for Children Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing: An International Consensus Statement (2013) Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education
- Quality Standards: Transition from Paediatric to Adult Audiology Services (Archived) (2011) NDCS
Commissioning audiology services for young adults (2012) NDCS: Guidance for those responsible for commissioning audiology services for teenagers and young adults. It highlights the key differences between paediatric and adult audiology care, and the main challenges deaf young people meet when transitioning between services.
What works: Hearing loss and transition to adulthood: A guide for commissioners, education and service providers to support young people with hearing loss through transition (2017) Department for Education & NHS England
- Guidelines and Clinical Standards for aetiological investigations available from the British Association of Audiovestibular Physicians
- Position statement: Genetics stem cell therapy and deafness (2018) NDCS
- Position statement: Childhood deafness associated with marriage/relationships between first cousins (2018) NDCS
- HearGlueEar App
- Commissioning guidance: Otitis Media with Effusion (2013) ENTUK / RCS
- Service for the surgical management of otitis media with effusion in children (NICE commissioning guidance) (2008) NICE
- Surgical management of OME: NICE guideline CG60 (2008) NICE
- Shared Decision Aid - Glue Ear (2017) NHS
- Screening for permanent hearing loss in children at school entry (2019) UK National Screening Committee
- Hearing assessment in general practice, schools and health clinics: guidelines for professionals who are not qualified audiologists (2000) BSA
- Position statement: Early Identification of Deafness in Childhood (2017) NDCS
- Guidelines for Identification and Management of Infants and Young Children with ANSD (2008) Guidelines Development Conference at NHS 2008, Como, Italy
- UK Care Standards for the Management of Patients with Microtia and Atresia (2019) BAPRAS et al.
- Quality Standards: Cochlear implants services for children and adults (2016) BCIG
- Position statement: Implantable Hearing Devices (2016) NDCS
- Quality standards for bone conduction implants, Acta Oto-Laryngologica, 135:12, 1277-1285 (2015)
- Clinical Commissioning Policy: Bone Anchored Hearing Aids (ref: NHSCB/D09/P/a) (2013) NHS England
- Service Specification No. D09/S/b - Implantable Hearing England Aids for Microtia, Bone Anchored Hearing Aids and Middle Ear Implants (2013) NHS England
- Clinical Commissioning Policy Statement: Active Middle Ear Implants (2013)NHS England
- Service Specification No. D09/S/a – Specialised Ear Surgery - Cochlear Implants (2013) NHS England
- Cochlear implants for severe to profound deafness in children and adults - Technology appraisal (TAG566) (2019) NICE
- Disability Matters: a free e-learning resource for the UK workforce with more than 57 modules that help challenge and positively change fears, ideas and attitudes towards disability and disabled children and young people. Includes Deaf Communication Matters focusing on improving access to services and communication with deaf children and young people.
- Deaf awareness online course for professionals
- AudiologyOnline: Various eLearning courses, now with BAA CPD points
- American Academy of Audiology eAudiology: offers online live and on-demand seminars, many free of charge.
- British Society of Audiology 'Lunch and Learn' lectures: recorded lectures in association with Phonak, with the opportunity to email speakers during a limited period of time following talk.
- Cochlear: Professional education programmes
- eAudiology: in partnership with the NHS and Professional Bodies
- Ida Institute Learning Hall: offer modules which have BAA CPD points.
- Live International Otolaryngology Network (LION): a worldwide video conferencing network dedicated to Otolaryngology.
- Phonak eLearning: recorded lectures given by international speakers. Can also download presentations and view webcasts from previous Phonak conferences.
- Effective amplification for infants and children, CPD or MSc level module, University of Manchester, School of Psychological Sciences.