Deaf children and young people in East Africa face many barriers, including:
- Communication barriers - causing deaf children to feel isolated.
- Linguistic diversity - making it more difficult to acquire language and communication skills.
- Poor quality education in large classrooms and a lack of specialist training amongst teachers.
- Lack of access to information for parents on how to support and communicate with their deaf child.
- Lack of qualified specialist training, affecting the quality of education.
- Lack of access to basic services, such as health care in rural areas.
What we do
We work with local partners in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania to ensure deaf children and young people can develop language and communication, access high quality education and become independent.